Faith. Family. Friends. Love. Home life... so fun!

Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

On the dangers of trying to be brilliant at seven in the morning... (Part three)

(Part one)
(Part two)
I was going to make one half batch with white flour, and one half batch with white wheat. I was going to pour half of the milk into another bowl. It would be hard to half the salt and sugar that I had already mixed, but I could do it. I would mix them really well, and then do the best I could.
I still didn't want to wake up Mommy, especially if this all ended in her still having to go get donuts. I carried our grain grinder into my room, and shut the door, leaving the wheat grinding while I melted the butter one half at a time, and stirred the yeast into the milk. I then let the white cinnamon rolls knead in the mixer, but, by this time I was thoroughly fed up with the kitchen ;), so I decided to knead the wheat cinnamon rolls by hand to save time. They couldn't get much worse, I was sure.
I set them in the oven to rise, purposing to go have my bible time. I glanced at the clock as I left. I had been baking for almost an hour. I had thought I would be done in fifteen minutes. Ha.
They rose nicely. I started to have some hope again.
Then I dumped the wheat dough on the counter. They worked beautifully- but I forgot that it was only half of a batch, and rolled it out too thin, so they were rather small, although we did get more out of it that way ;).
I was very careful to roll the dough out thicker the second time. But the white dough was rather sticky, and as I tried to roll the dough up, it just stretched. I was glad I hadn't rolled it out more than it should have been, because they ended up thin anyway. I was definitely using parchment paper on these pans.
And they didn't rise the second time.
Mommy came out while I was typing this post out, so that I could throw the paper draft away ;), wanting to know what I had been doing with aluminum foil. I told her it wasn't aluminum foil, it was parchment paper. I then proceeded to tell her the story- starting with the bug incident, as she went and started snuggling Emmi in my bed. I couldn't resist.
As I finished, she asked, "We've already used all that flour that is on the top shelf of the freezer in here?!"
There had been a bag of white flour in the inside freezer behind the ice cream all this time. Which just shows how observant I am. And that ice cream isn't the cure for everything, even if it is the cure for ALMOST everything. Haha.
We ended up turning on the oven and baking the cinnamon rolls even though they hadn't risen, and you know what? They rose while they baked. And they were actually good. And the icing actually beat smooth, instead of having butter lumps in it (a common occurrence for me). And Abbi actually said that eating them was her favorite part of the day. And I'm actually laughing at the whole thing. And if it had happened to anybody else, I would say that I had to much fun writing this story. But it wasn't anybody else, so I'll just keep having fun with it ;)...
The rest of the day was spent listening to the special sermon we always listen to on Resurrection; Talking about the deepness of Christ's sacrifice, and the joy we have to live in him; finishing a documentary we had been watching on economics; getting items sent in for the Hidden Treasures auction; I finished the pieces to the bible cover I'm making, leaving only the sewing together, which was so fun (but I later discovered I hadn't made the straps... grrr... :P...); we had a fun lunch; and finished up the little ones day by watching "The Secrets of Johnathan Sperry"... in the middle of which we stopped to repair the washer, which we discovered was coming apart when we went to switch my bedsheets (I was not sleeping in them again without washing them after that bug, haha!). It took forever, but Mommy did it, despite my attempts to help that resulted in my worsening it :P. ...Partly due to the fact that I was laughing at the washer, because if Daddy had been coming home when he usually does, he would have been here to fix it (I told you they waited for him, they just haven't figured out he changed his schedule!), partly because I didn't know what I was doing, and partly because I had been up since seven thirty, which was showing through by this time in the form of being able to do absolutely nothing but laugh over anything... very common for me when I am tired. Tori says that when I get that way, I will laugh at the wiggling of a finger... and I did as she gave Mommy that example, it's true. Hahaha...
After which Tori, Mommy and I stayed up and watched a movie while we ate ice cream ;)...

No comments: