Faith. Family. Friends. Love. Home life... so fun!

Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ramblings on rejoicing...

 "Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality." Romans 12:9-13
Last night I was struck with the fact that I really need to rejoice more. I don't believe I am nearly thankful enough. I asked the Lord to help me to see the blessings in life, to take time to stop and give thanks especially when I felt that something was going "wrong", and to help me, especially, to show more thankfulness to others in my life for things that they do, if that is writing me a note, bringing me an item, gathering the trash without being asked, or doing one of my jobs to bless me. There is something to be grateful for in everything, whether we see it at first glance, or have to do a retake!
After last night's thoughts, the verses above really seemed to pop out at me as I was reading through Romans this morning, especially verse twelve: Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
Rejoice. Something that does not come naturally, but something we are commanded to do. From our Lord, through our Lord, and for our Lord. Rejoice. When we feel there is a reason. Rejoice. When we don't feel like it. Rejoice. When we don't think anything is big enough to rejoice about. Rejoice. When it seems there is nothing to rejoice about. Rejoice. In all things. In ALL things.
When the dishes are clean, the house is picked up, the children's baths are done, the yard is mowed, the garden is weeded, the floors are freshly washed, and you are heading off to bed, rejoice in the Lord for his gifts.
(Although realistic, I am not thinking of a certain day while I write this next paragraph.... haha :).) When you have five baking projects going on at once, no more dishes left to continue them in, weeds as tall as the children outside your kitchen window, a child who needs a diaper change, and five children are begging for a snack at eight p.m., and all you may want to do is pull out your hair, thereby causing all others to want to do the same (:P...), rejoice in the Lord for his gifts. Be patient in this "tribulation". Stop, say a prayer, and ask the Lord for the grace to see the gifts...
Gifts like the fact that you have the ingredients for your five baking projects (four of which you probably chose to make at that time yourself... if you are anything like me, ahem.). That you have water, soap, a sink, and a rag to wash more of the dishes that the Lord has given you to finish those projects, and that you have several siblings who will probably pitch in to get those dishes dried. That the weeds aren't inside (it's the little things during times like these ;).), that you can pull them later, and that the plants will forgive you if you make them wait one more day. That you have diapers to change the baby into, hands to change them, and a reason to slow down and talk to them. That you have food to give the little ones, a fridge to keep it fresh, and, hey, at least it isn't nine yet! You can also, if you give into temptation, be glad that hair grows back ;)... There is also the fact that, if this is all that your "tribulation" consists of, you can be very glad that it is not as bad as it could be. We are very blessed to live in America, where we can still pray without fear!
I could say more, and I could go on into how several other thoughts came to me while reading those verses, especially the phrases "Outdo one another in showing honor" and "Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord." Prayer is also an area that I think I struggle with. But, you know what? I have the gift of being able to trust in my Lord to help me overcome my weaknesses, and I know that, in some way, he has said that even in those weaknesses, his name will be brought to honor.
I will admit, it isn't always easy. I have already had to retrace my steps several times this morning and tell myself to stop and think of as many things as I can to be grateful for in this situation, when I wanted to grumble, or, in some cases, did grumble! But it truly is worth it! And at this time, I am thanking the Lord for his gentle convictions, his promises, and Romans :)!

No comments: