Faith. Family. Friends. Love. Home life... so fun!

Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Just a few thoughts...

I used to hate doing dishes. I liked anything better than doing dishes, especially if it was sitting on the couch with a baby and a book. But, over the past few days, I have realized that I actually enjoy doing dishes. Sure, I still don't like it well enough to shout with joy every time I see a counter full of hand wash-only dishes. But I have come to see that doing dishes is. really, enjoyable.
When I do the dishes, I usually have a helper (or two, or three, or four). What better time to talk about anything under the sun like we love to do? I cherish the memory of some of those hilarious talks Tori and I have had while doing those dishes, and it is sweet how the littler ones love helping!
And, washing dishes right in front of the window that is right above our sink brings it's own treasures. On a Summer day, I can watch diapers on the line blowing in the breezes, birds looking for worms, or playing on the clothes line, and our garden changing day by day. On Summer nights, we can watch frogs sitting on our window, attracted to the bugs that are attracted to the light. In the fall months, beautiful leaves and birds flying can be seen through that window.
And then there is the fact that every dish I wash is a way to help my family in the exact way that God has chosen for me :)!

7 comments:

Aunt Tessa said...

Dishes aren't my favorite chore either, but they do give me time to think.
I love to do dishes with you all! Looking forward that when I see you next time!:o)

Unknown said...

Yes, I'm am looking forward to the next time we see you all, also! And doing the dishes together :)! Love you!

Joy said...

I love this post! Doing dishes is not my favorite chore, but it's something you can just do... you don't really have to focus on it. Cleaning the bathroom would probably be my least favorite chore.

Unknown said...

Thank you :)!
Cleaning bathrooms would be my second least favorite. It is lower than dishes only because it happens about two times a week instead of one to three times a day :).

Joy said...

We do it once a week--Wednesday is bathroom-cleaning day! Most chores I don't mind, but cleaning the bathroom and yardwork (pulling weeds, etc.) are my downfall. I am really trying to work on doing them willingly, with a cheerful spirit. At least we don't have to pull weeds again until spring! :)

Unknown said...

We do it on Saturday, and then in the morning before any company comes during the week, so it isn't a ever week is two times a week, but that is what it averages out being.
I actually like yard work, but I hate heat and spiders (although I don't mind worms, and love frogs and lizards!). So, I guess you could say I like SPRING yard work... which doesn't last long here :P!

Joy said...

Yes, spring yard work can be fun, but I don't like heat and spiders either! Worms, frogs, and lizards are fine, though. We find lots of interesting creatures when we're doing yardwork.