Faith. Family. Friends. Love. Home life... so fun!

Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crocheting lessons...

About three years ago I thought it would be really neat to learn how to crochet. I had already known how to knit for about two years, thanks to a sweet lady who lived next door to us back then (she was an amazing knitter, and she also knew sewing/crocheting!). Well, about eighteen months ago I found some good instructions, and got serious about crocheting. At first I still liked knitting better, but crochet is slowly growing on me to where I like them pretty much on equal levels now :).
Tori started learning just over a year ago, and Bethi learned chain stitch not long after that. The other day I decided to do something Andrew had been asking for for days... he learned chain stitch as well, while Bethi got a starter on learning single crochet!
He did so well, I guided his hands for about five stitches, gave him reminders for four... and he had it! He accidentally took out all of his first stitches, but here are some of his earliest, he had only done about 15-20 stitches before he was able to do this:


Andrew wasn't feeling too good that day (we have all had a bit of congestion/ fevers and all that, Emmi's breathing sounded so bad that Daddy and Mommy took her to urgent care just to make sure it wasn't turning into pneumonia, but not a thing had settled in her lungs, we're not sure why she sounded so bad!), but he so wanted to keep working at it, because his hope is to crochet a "Larry" (a character from Big Idea's show "Veggietales") for Abbi for Christmas.



Bethi was excited to learn the next step in crocheting, too!

This is how tired they all were from being sick...
They NEVER fall asleep on the floor!
And I don't see how anybody sleeps like that :)!

Update on Miss Rhonda: She is doing much better, she can not talk at the moment, but she can communicate, recognize people, etc., and they are sure she will recover!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Neat! I'm not very good at knitting, but I do enjoy it from time to time.
A crocheted Larry would be cute, but that seems like a big goal to make by Christmas! (Of course, it may be a different size than what I'm thinking.) Is Andrew able to sit still and concentrate on something? From the picture, it looks like he is. All the little boys I know (cousins, at church) can't sit still for longer than just a minute or two!
Is everyone feeling better now?
I'm so glad Miss Rhonda is doing better. I'll continue to pray.

Unknown said...

I think I was going to create one smaller than you were thinking (I was thinking 2" tall), but he kind of lost interest :)...
He did concentrate quite well, and knows chain stitch wonderfully! He just wasn't quite ready for single crochet, though. He has been using chain stitch to make some bracelets and necklaces, though :)!
Yes, we're all much better!
Miss Rhonda is doing much better, the Doctors think she will be home by Christmas!!!