Faith. Family. Friends. Love. Home life... so fun!

Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The cookies that were (not) made...

I've got a sweet tooth (or maybe several, haha!). That sweet tooth has given me the job of head sweet-maker! And one day I got the bright idea of making No-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies. And it made an interesting story...
Okay, so on the day that I decided to make cookies, we were running low on milk, Abbi was still taking a bottle, and Daddy wasn't going to be able to bring home milk until nine o'clock that night. So, we needed at least two bottles worth of milk left. But, I forgot that.
After checking with Mommy to make sure cookies were all right with her, I made my first mistake. I forgot to make sure we had all the ingredients before I started. So, I dumped in the cocoa, sugar, butter, and... Oh, no! I forgot that they need milk!!! After consulting Mommy about it, I half the milk with water so we're not using quite so much. Then I get to the peanut butter. No. We can't be out of peanut butter! Or, maybe we can. We are. You mean we just wasted a half a cup of milk? That could have been half a bottle!!!
After looking through all our cookbooks for a recipe that had somewhat the same ingredients as No-bake cookies, the closest we can find is Chocolate fudge pie. And we'll still need to make several changes (and make four pies to get the proportions right!!!). Not enough eggs for four pies? Use flax seed. There are four sticks of butter in four pies. Since we have a cup of "milk" that shouldn't go in the pie, we use that as two of the sticks of butter. Have we ever tried whole wheat flour in this recipe? No idea, but we don't have any white flour, so we'll have to try it anyway. Mommy comes into the kitchen and says "You've had to change so many things in this recipe, I have no idea how it will turn out. Why don't you add some chocolate chips to kind of help it along?"
So, we add chocolate chips, and pour the four recipes of pie batter into two pie pans (that was all we had at the time!). The pies take three times as long to bake as they should when made right, and we still have no idea how they will turn out! I serve the pie for dessert at lunch, and Mommy takes a bite...
"Wow! This is actually really good! In fact... I think this is your best pie yet!!!"
Daddy was working late that night, and got home at ten o'clock. He tucks us in bed, and goes downstairs. Two minutes later I hear "Bri!". I go down stairs and find Daddy eating a piece of pie. He's words: "Did you write down the changes you made to this? Because if you didn't- you need to!!! This is definitely your best pie yet!"
So, there you have it. All that worry... and it turned out better than ever before!!! And as that is the case, here's the recipe:

Surprise success pie
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 chocolate chips

Mix, pour into an un-greased pie pan, and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes to an hour.
This recipe is cut in half from what I made on our "cookie making" day :).

No comments: